Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Papa George


Since my grandmother (aka Mama B) passed away back in '05 we did not think my grandfather, (aka Papa George), would live much longer after that. In fact, I was surprised that it was Mama B who went before him. But Papa George was stubborn...and we think he and his Aunt were in a silent competition to see who'd outlast the other (she's 97)...she won.

Honestly, I always thought that when Papa George died it wouldn't hit me that hard because he'd lived such a long life (91 years for crying out loud!!!) and he'd experienced a good life. A very good life. So it took me by surprise the reaction I felt. I mean, people, I ugly cried at the funeral...UGLY CRY...come on! I cried at my grandmothers funeral as well...but I thought it was because my sister was sitting next to me bawling her eyes out. Ummm...no, I guess not because this time she couldn't be there--so it was just me sitting there bawling my eyes out.

It wasn't so much the fact that he'd died...because in reality he was finally getting to live again. We believe beyond a shadow of a doubt he is in Heaven where he is no longer confined to his ailing aged body. I think why it hit me so hard is that a chapter of our life has closed...one chapter that held very special memories. I think that's what I mourned...I mourned the past.

My grandparents were such special people. I was more like my Mama B...(yes, Mom I just admitted that)...she was creative and funny and liked to be around people.
My Papa George was quiet, he did amazing woodwork...tinkered with things to make in the garage...he was loyal to his friends and his work. He worked for Nabisco for 39 years and they would NEVER buy competition...NEVER.
He served our country in World War II and was given military honors at the gravesite...we have a flag and that's something I treasure.
Did I mention though, he's stubborn? I get that from him. I'm very much like Mama B...but I'm just as hard headed as Papa George.
My grandparents were different in many ways, but I think that's what made their marriage work the way it did--they weren't outwardly lovey dovey when it came to their feelings for each other but they were committed to one another, they took care of each other--they showed their love thru actions not just in words.
I do have to mention this because I think its funny...while my Mom and my Aunt were growing up in the house my Mama B and Papa George had two separate twin size beds...not until Mom and Aunt Carolyn moved out did they put the beds together. I think it's hilarious.
My grandfather lived on the same street in Orlando for 87 years. I can't fathom that since I've moved to 9 different cities/areas, lived in 17 different houses/apts etc in my life. My Mama B had to live two houses down from her Mother-In-Law...whew...(just kidding Joni!)

My grandparents always made my brother, sister and I a priority--we were their only grandkids....and they loved us so much. They drove from Florida to Texas numerous times to take care of us when my parents would go on Mission Trips, Ski Trips, Vacations...okay, just kidding...most of the time my parents did not leave us at home while they took a vacation although maybe they should have. We had so much fun when they came to visit--always a new adventure.

We really do have great memories of Mama B and Papa George that will stay with us the rest of our lives. We cherish those memories...
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: