Saturday, February 27, 2010

When God calls you out...

So, several weeks ago...I was sitting in church while our pastor was preaching and I was admiring my sparkly diamond ring...see you have to understand-the lights in the sanctuary make diamonds come to life...seriously, you should see it...

I should back up...just in case you don't know this about me...I love jewelry. I have since I was a little girl...love love love jewelry. I love to make jewelry, I love to wear jewelry...I love to get jewelry from my husband. And I'm very partial to diamonds...they are a girl's best friend, right? One day I hope my little jewelry business will take on some diamond creations-we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...I was sitting there admiring my ring (when I should have been paying attention to the preaching, but my vain self was consumed with something else)...and then I felt that God hit me right between the eyes..."Monica, sell your ring"...hmmm--what? Sell my ring? No body is really going to want to buy my ring, God...I mean seriously--sell my ring--seems a little odd..."MONICA, s.e.l.l t.h.i.s s.i.l.l.y r.i.n.g!" Ummm, God--did you know I really like this ring? (Now exasperation) "M o n i c a...are you that hard headed? (yes) Sell the ring." Okay, okay...I will I will...I just need to wait till the timing is right...I mean what if we don't get matched? It would seem a little premature. I think at this point I'm sure God was throwing his hands up in the air and shaking his head a little. Excuses Excuses...

So, we got matched with precious little Olivia and we started with the formal process...and then last week my daughter came to me with her allowance money and said, "Hey, Mom..." yes, Abby... "I want to give you this money to help Olivia come home faster"... heart in throat, blink rapidly--don't start crying or you're daughter will think you've lost your mind... She had $6 to give...but she gave all that she had...I still had a ring on my finger. A ring that holds some sentimental value, but truth be told I picked it out-James just went and bought it...a ring that is a bit materialistic since I was admiring it during church when I should have been focusing on the One who loves us beyond what we can even comprehend. God made it clear..."Sell the ring, Monica".

I'll be honest with you...this is not a "rock" by any means...but to me its beautiful...it's not worth a ton of money...but I'm giving it up to what God will do with it. You can follow this link to ebay where the ring is for sale...and I'm asking for you to pass this post along to your friends, family, anyone who may want to be a part of bringing a little girl from South Korea home and at the same time get a pretty sparkly ring. I hope whoever ends up buying it will pass the story along and tell how this simple diamond ring played a big part in Olivia's story.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were just talking today about selling our second vehicle, to pay off debt. I understand this post! I am now trying to convince my husband! I applaude you for being obedient.

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm a friend of Kristen and Al Genatone's from Moscow, ID. They were actually a part of our church before they moved and we really miss them! We adopted a 17 month old little girl from China in '07. It was the journey of a lifetime, in every way possible. I love reading your blog and reliving a lot of the emotions and experiences that you are now going through. You will experience God in new and amazing ways through this! The ring story is great! I wrote some songs and made a cd, thinking "who would care to buy something from me?" 1110 cds and $11,000 towards the adoption later, I was reminded God can do anything! Our little Elliette Bei Grace is now 4 1/2 and such a joy to our family. Hope I can be of an ecouragement to you, should you need it. So excited for you!