Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Insight...

If you know me at all...you know I love my children with all of my heart...I love both of them for their uniqueness, their character...their sillyness...I love them so much and partly for how different they are. Night and day difference. But those differences can also cause frustration if I'm not careful. They can make me wonder how two children can be from the same parents? They can make me pull my hair out...

Abby starting kindergarten has opened my eyes to all new insights. The main one being that the next 12 years are pay back for all of the pain and suffering my parents endured from me as a child. :) I wasn't a bad kid, and Abby isn't either...she is just independent, controlling, bossy, etc...what is funny though, is she's just like that at home (which I AM thankful for)...as much as I get frustrated with it, I would rather deal with that side of my kids than someone else having to endure it. I'm very proud of the fact that our children obey and are respectful...to other adults. Anyway, we started homework...
The first night of homework, Hayden was so excited to help Abby. Because, as he kept saying, "I'm her big brother and that's what brother's do..." Abby on the other hand wanted none of it because that meant Hayden would be TELLING HER what to do...and that DOES NOT happen, atleast not in her mind. At this point, I will admit, I was upset with Abby...Hayden was being so sweet and had been so excited for her to start school so he could help her with her homework...it ticked me off. Hayden was okay with it...and I was twice as hard on Abby just to show her it's better to have her brothers help. Abby questioned everything I told her to do...why, why, why. Yes, I know it's good that she has an inquisitive mind...but really? Why can't the answer, "Because I'm the mom and I said so" be enough. (Yes, I know, Mom...just like me--got it!)
At this point I'd rather do the homework for her.
On the second night of homework, after I had made Abby rewrite her J for the 3rd time because she was too stubborn to watch me do it, Hayden walked over and whispered (loud enough for me to hear)...if you'd just get out the ABCs I wrote for you--you wouldn't need Mommy's help--She looks up, "WHERE ARE MY ABCs?!"...Off Hayden runs to get them (he's just so excited he can finally help)...He returns, gives the paper to Abby...and she turns to me, (no kidding) and says, "It's okay, Mommy--I don't need your help now!" Hayden and Abby did her homework the rest of the night. (And I will say, he did a great job)
One other insight from homework is that Abby does not care a hill a beans about details. She pulled out her homework which consisted of tracing, copying and then coloring 8 different shapes and informed me she was done with the first two parts within 90 seconds. You can imagine how it looked. Yeah, I made her erase the whole thing and start over. Hayden on the other hand takes his time and does his best. He is meticulous in what he does and it has to be right by his standards.
I will say, Abby's teacher had emailed me this morning and I'd responded including in there that I hope Abby listens to her better than she does to me while doing homework. She responded back, "Abby is one of my most well behaved children!!!" I was thrilled.

Hayden is such a sweet kid...and Abby is too...just in a different manner. And as much as I kid around and tell you all of this stuff...I mean it when I say she's exactly like me. I'm hard-headed, stubborn, bossy, opinionated...the list goes on. But I also think I'm pretty loving, creative, funny (at times), giving...and those attributes I see in her as well. I think all of these characteristics in both of our kids are going to help them in the long run. Hayden will learn how not to let bossy girls walk all over him and hopefully keep his sensitive side...and Abby will be independent and head strong. It'll be interesting to see them in 20 years or so. :)

One side note, I'm going to stick this in there. If you think about it will you say a prayer for Hayden and us. Most of you know Hayden has a speech delay...and although we thought we'd pretty much conquered the worst of it, it seems to have gotten worse since school has started. We'll be having him tested for therapy towards the end of the month...and I know it's not a big deal...but sometimes kids can be mean and it breaks my heart to think of him being picked on. I know, I know...I'm a sappy overprotective mother...but when I say I love my kids more than anything...I do...like all of you moms...and the worst thing in the world (atleast for me) is to see my child hurt. So, pray for us to handle this in a way that is not detrimental to his progress and pray for God to send Hayden one good friend at school.

Thanks for sticking with this post...it was a long one huh? I'll have more to update later. Hayden has another game tomorrow night, so I"ll be posting pictures on Friday. And I have a bargain shopping story to tell too, ya'll know how I LOVE a good deal!! Have a great Wednesday...talk to you soon.

0 comments: